We welcome our third dude to our crew; Bas with his Bad Ass SAAB!
We also bought a Tech2 device. Our supplier Cathy from Hippotech from Shenzhen Hippo Tech Co., Ltd. sent us fairly quickly the device. After a few days we received the boxed “car diagnostics sample unit”. Playing around with the it all seemed to work. However connecting it to the TIS2000 was a problem. The Tech2 failed to pass the RS232 loop back test every time. We reported this instantly to Cathy Wong (a.k.a. “cathy11005” and “firstname.lastname@example.org”) and here is where it went downhill.
Connected the RJ45 RS-232 loopback plug and the 25-pin loopback plug into the Tech2:
This is the result. Bummer!
The communications between Hippotech and us became dreadful and after weeks and numerous emails eventually we received only lame excuses from Cathy and vast moments of silence. Up till now not a single solution was mentioned by Cathy.
Now we are stuck with a non-communicating Tech2.
Just sharing our experiences…
Now we have to take fate in our own hand and try to fix the problem. So searched the internet for a while and i stumbled upon this article at “diy-tech2” blog from “lol_ka” at blogspot.com which described in minimalism style that the RS-232 chip could be flaky, translation:
“And here is how to fix the error rs232 and if its not there then an error connecting to the computer. Any chip series max232 sop, often instead max232 is max 202, the same principle, and they differ by the presence of protection. They cost a penny. Also it will not be superfluous to solder the connector pins around the max232.”
2014 by lol_ka
This told me that the most likely suspect is the RS-232 chip. This led me to search for a replacement. MAX232D Transciever MAX 232 Texas SMD was easily tracked down on eBay. So i bought a couple (as they happen to sold as a couple, i have received 4 SMD ICs. The soldering of the SMD component can be tricky so some experience is very handy.
After the replacement of the SMD component the Tech2 reported “Passed” on the RS-232 Self Test. So, project Tech2-RS232 has been completed successfully.
Recently I decided that I need more space at the garage and on my “Getting Things Done” list. So i divorced my SAAB 900 classic, almost at a memorable 500.000 kilometers.
Recently the neighbours didn’t have a good night sleep as my 9-5 was screaming for attention. The alarm system (SAAB 50 39 086) went of randomly. I noticed this myself too. So i decided to fix this problem. At first i just removed the alarm module from under the left front wing/fender. Just take off the wheel, remove the plastics and you will see the bugger hanging tight on two 10mm nuts, see Fixing Saab 9-5 Security System Problems -EricTheCarGuy
We are going to replace:
C1 – 10μF 50v
C2 – 220μF 10v
C4 – 330μF 25v
BT1 – Sanyo CR17335 (3volt)
BT2 – Sanyo CR17335 (3volt)
Just follow the slide show…