Tonight we are gonna start on replacing the head gasket on the black 2.0i. The parts are in place and purchased at J&D’s in Vinkeveen.
What will be replaced:
Head gasket – 9181348
Air inlet gasket
Head cover gasket – 8822041
Cylinder head bolts – 81012000
Oil filter – 5556020
Update: 18-08-2011 @ 01:04 hours:
This head is now re-defined as wasted, gone, scrap and so on!
Today we mounted the skimmed spare head onto the 900, this didn’t go without injuries as I cut my finger bloody deep.
We also replaced the valve stem gaskets using our Frankenstein tool.
The head gasket is now changed and we had to get the air out of the lubrication system of the head. As this is not well enough documented in the Haynes manual (the Donald Duck magazine of the car repair manuals) we stumbled upon section 213-4 of the Bentley’s SAAB 900 16 valves bible. Here is explained how to bleed the head. Before bleeding the head many tiny air bubbles were visible on the dipstick while checking oil after starting. Bleeding the air out of the head solved this problem.
When multiple valves are ticking or making sound, bleeding the head may be necessary:
– Take off the head cover by unscrewing the 16 bolds from the head.
– untighten the black bold (located on the inner side of the head) for three to four full turns
– take our the ignition amplifier, located in the left front wing.
– place the head cover on the head again and fasten this with at least two but preferably more screws.
– put a cloth into the middle of the head, on top of the spark plugs, to soak up excessive oil spillage.
– crank up the engine by starting it for 15 seconds.
– wait for 30 seconds
– fire up the starter again for 15 seconds.
– take a leak for 30 seconds.
– yank the starter for one more time, 15 countings in a row.
– remove the head cover again, watch out for the oil spilling.
– fasten the black bolt on camshaft bearing 5 to 15nm.
– put the cover including al the bolts in place again.
– start the engine and leave it running for some time
If everything fails contact Wouter! 🙂
During this morning drive to work the coolant temperature went up the roof. I decided to leave the SAAB behind near Utrecht at the Bijleveld gas station alongside the A12.
Later that evening I went back to check what the problem was. I reinstalled the thermostat as I didn’t pay attention to the jiggle. With the jiggle pointing towards heaven I mounted the thermostat housing back onto the head. Also the temperature sensor wire got a new connector as the was also flaky.
Driving home all problems are our yesterday’s worries. 🙂